Thursday, May 3, 2012

sorry...

Sorry for not blogging for a whole month...  Where does the time go?  We have started working on the house again...  We moved here last October and of course you don't do a lot outside that time of year.  Now we are catching up for the last twentyumpteen years of no one doing anything in the yard... 

So far we have (and I use the term WE very loosely here)
Dumped and spread 11 truckloads of top soil the front yard..
Planted grass and covered it in straw and watered it every night until this week when the rains came flooding down in our area..
Built two planter boxes using stone, then filled them with top soil and planted grapes and Hosta..
Cut the grass three times...
Pulled out multiple pieces of wood t
at was stuck haphazadardly all over the back yard...We have no idea why it was put there or why it was painted blue. 
Pulled down a post with a non-working bug zapper hanging from it..
Started the huge job of closing in underneath the deck...
Planted tomatoes...Ok...ok...that one doesn't count as I bought two tomato plants already in the container with the cage attached and just had to set it on the deck...

I have also been keeping up with my Bee blocks..

These were Tess's blocks for April..



Today I got Carolyn's block done...





 And started working on a new quilt..  I have 12 or 13 FQ's and after working most of the afternoon I have these blocks finished.  I am using a new ruler I bought at the AQS Show in Paducah this year.  You make a pinwheel block,  cut it with this special ruler and then add a triangle to four sides to make the square block...  It's a lot of cutting, pressing, sewing, pressing, trimming, cutting, sewing, pressing, cutting, sewing, pressing and a final cut...  I am kind of enjoying it..  I am calling it Winding Ways although I have no idea if that is the name of the block..

They finish at 6 inches so it's going to take me a while to get a large enough quilt for the guest room..  




I bought the ruler from the designer who has a website here...  I have the smaller size ruler which makes blocks from two inches to six inch finished.  The larger one makes blocks up to a twelve inch... 

So, yea...I went to Paducah this year...This was my 12th year and for the first time I stayed for longer than one day...Four of us left Tuesday morning and came back Thursday..  We had a great time and I didn't buy all that much..  I did buy a quilt kit, which I have NEVER done before..I turned the corner and there was the quilt hanging in the booth and I picked it up and bought it... It came with all the fabric and pattern and it will be the next project.  I also bought a 12 1/2 inch square up ruler..and a ruler by Bloc Loc that is truly unique..  There is a groove carved out of wrong side so the seams of your block sit into the grooves and allows you to trim the block without movement..  I bought the flying geese ruler...  and I think that is really all I bought... oh no...i forgot...I bought some Kona at Hancocks of Paducah...and some great decorator weight fabric to do this...

BEFORE

AFTER
 I love the new look...it's very cheery..however, there does seem to be a slight problem...


Sometimes your fabric disappears.. 


So, I will shut up now and let you go to the next blog...  but not before I tell you some exciting news...

Next week I am part of a BlogHop...  There are three of us that will be will giving away a quilt pattern from a new designer...  Check back here Monday for details...

Nancy

5 comments:

Kristy said...

You have been busy...I mean if it's not dirt, it's scrap wood and of course Paducah :-)

You should bring those cool rulers with you to our meeting next Saturday.

Nancy Page said...

Whoa!! What a busy girl you are!! So many things to do and you are getting them done -- good for you! Love your blocks and your pressing table cover -- so bright and cheery!

Have a super great sewing and stitching day.

Pat said...

WHOA.......you wore me out...I am totally tired after reading about your yardwork! I bet it is going to look super-terrific when you are finished with it.

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

I love you table covering!
I've been slacking in blog land too. but I've been at a blacksmith conference. Is that anything like a quilt show??? LOL

GerryART said...

So, what's new, Nancy.

I'm exhausted just reading about your busyness.

You're making me envious with all your great finds at Paducah.

great post
hugs