Thursday, October 28, 2010

pick up tips...

I have been a quilter for about 12 years. We got a flyer in the mail one day from the local technical school and I was intrigued by a log cabin class. I sent in my registration fee and received a class list. Scissors, ruler, needles and something called a rotary cutter. it was the beginning of a love of sewing. My son sleeps under that quilt every night. I keep wanting to make him another, but he insist it be as soft as one that has been washed every month for 12 years. I don't think there is batting quite that soft out there...lol

In the midst of all this sewing I have learned a lot. I am always willing to take another class because inevitably I will learn something...and every so often I teach someone something..

Yesterday I started working on my second Christmas "thingy"...I can't say what it is as relatives read my blog...(you know who you are!) During construction of this secret project I needed to sew Velcro onto my fabric. And that's when one of my "pick up tips" came in handy.

This is the kind of Velcro I use. The sew-on kind.. not the sticky kind...

and this.. plain ol'Elmers school glue..bought when school supplies go on sale..


this is how I "used" to sew on my Velcro.. but the pin kept getting in the way and my Velcro would always end up crooked..


Now, I slap a little school glue down the center of the back of the Velcro and stick it down.
the Velcro on the right is glued down, left isn't...


and it gets sewn on straight...


So, hope that helps you as you make some great Christmas presents... this one is done and I will start another ???? today.

Off to order some cabinets today...and counter tops...

Nancy

14 comments:

Diane said...

I could have used that velcro tip a couple of weeks ago. But, now I can use it in the future.

I love the tips I've gleaned from taking quilting classes. I use them all the time. I would never have had that help if I'd learned everything on my own.

Quiet Quilter said...

There is a reason why some things (Elmer's glue) have been around for so long. "New fangled gadgets" are great, but sometimes it helps to go back to the basics.

Anne D said...

Great idea. I hope I will remember it next time I have to sew in velcro.

Cindy said...

Great tip, Nancy. Thanks!

Pat said...

Good tip...thanks!

Rhonda said...

Your post on velcro was my "duh" moment. I often struggle with velcro placement and sewing...most of the time I just give up but now, I think I can get the job done. Thanks for the tip!!!

Joy said...

Thanks Nancy ..... I'll try to remember that :o).
Hugs,
Joy :o)

Nancy Page said...

Great tip!! I love way you can always learn something new no matter what the class. Thanks for sharing.

Have a super great sewing day.

Chris said...

Thanks for the tip. I also enjoyed your previous post of the civil war quilts. I'm always amazed to see every square is different!

Gari in AL said...

Well, that's a great tip and one I never thought of. Thanks.

Lindabee said...

Thanks for that tip, I would never have thought of that. Hoping to be making some items with velcro very soon. Happy Halloween.

Brenda said...

Now how come I didn't think of that? Duh! Thanks for keeping me "in the know"! LOL

SheilaC said...

Thanks for sharing this great tip!

SheilaC

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

Thanks for the tip on the glue stick. I bought some paper doll FABRIC and you put velco on the doll and the clothes. Some day the grand daughter will like playing with it I hope.