Thursday, January 27, 2011

color...

I am a huge fan of color.. Once I painted our master bedroom a color called lipstick...it was so bright that my girls called it whorehouse pink...  I did finally paint over that color, but it's only because we put the house up for sale and I wasn't sure how it would appeal to the masses...lol  Of course I also painted over the navy blue in the dining room ...I did however draw the line at removing the black and white checkerboard kitchen floor and when we sold the house, the buyers did mention they loved it...

The last two days, I have been playing with these...

The St Louis Modern Quilt Guild challenge isn't due until June but I am a procrastinator and if I don't have it done early, I will be up the night before the meeting attempting to throw something together.  I thought I had a plan and then on Sunday when hubby and I were driving home we got to talking about it.  His thought was I should cut each charm in half and somehow sew the points together...  I tried to explain about the 1/4 " seam allowance, but he said "well, you can do anything, it won't be a problem".  Well, he's wrong. I can't sew points together, but he got me thinking and I did decide my design... so yesterday and today I have been cutting and sewing and cutting and sewing some more...  I now have the majority of the quilt finished, but I need a background color and can't decide between white and black.  We can only use solids except for the binding where apparently we are allowed to go crazy with print...  So if you had a stack of rainbow solids would you use black? or white? for a background...

My thoughts...
  • white is fresh
  • white looks a lot like snow and I am sick of snow already
  • would black look "too Amish" with the brights
  • would gray look better?
  • how long can I procrastinate...
AND the biggest incentive of the challenge?  If you don't bring a finished quilt to the June meeting..and finished means quilted AND bound...you have to pay the guild back for the charms...to the tune of $10.  That would hurt...

Nancy

12 comments:

Anne D said...

I like both but I think you should go black this time. I have nearly finished a mini I am playing with and went with a black background.

Jo Anne said...

White will give your quilt a spring-happy-upbeat look.

Jackie Russell said...

Well I think a picture would really help us decide, but I'm pretty sure you don't want to do that. Without seeing it I would say white. I think white really brings out the colors and the black and gray mute the colors but that is just my opinion. I'm sure any color will look great. But back to posting that picture....maybe? Sneak peak?

Quiet Quilter said...

...If the quilt cannot be shown, perhaps you could at least show us some scraps of the colors you used.....

Cindy said...

My, that's a tough question. I would lean toward white - I do think it has a more "modern" look. (And the snow will be gone by June - hopefully).

Anonymous said...

Have you auditioned your colors with both backgrounds? I love black backgrounds, as long as the solids are bright (not muddy or gray). The black seems to "pop" the color. I like white backgrounds too, but I feel at times they're a safe choice. I can't wait to see your finished project. Mary

Pat said...

Unless I'm remembering wrong, haven't you done white quite often with your quilts, so I'd say go with black this time....but either one will pop the colors. Gray doesn't appeal to me at all.

Nancy Page said...

I agree with Anne, both the black and the white would be good. What ever you choose it will look good.

Have a super great sewing day. You are ahead of me that is for sure.

Diane said...

Not gray, but either white or black. I agree that I think you should audition it and see which clicks for you.

Me? A Mom? said...

White is more modern. Gray is very modern as well, probably more modern than white I dare say. I love the look of ash or coal from Kona. Coal would probably look better with the colors we have to work with.

Good luck deciding.

Becky R said...

black will make the colors pop and the white will mute them a bit. Funny how that works.

Anonymous said...

What's the possibility of using both, perhaps in quadrants? I have seen some things with black and white both being used as background and thought them quite wonderful!
Donna in KS