Thursday, January 13, 2011

First Challenge...

chal·lenge  [chal-inj] noun, verb, -lenged, -leng·ing, adjective



1.  a call or summons to engage in any contest, as of skill, strength, etc.
2.  a call to fight, as a battle, a duel, etc.
3.  a difficulty in a job or undertaking that is stimulating to one engaged in it.
My new (and most favorite) quilt guild has issued us a challenge.  We have the best president ever. She was given a hint to contact Robert Kaufman Fabrics.  The company sent us enough of these charm packs for each due paying member of the guild.  In return, we just need to give permission to use photographs of our work on their blog should they decide to honor us with a post.  So, our president has issued a challenge. 
As with any challenge there are rules..

Finished item must be able to hang on wall.  So no purses, bowls, clothing, etc.
Finished item must be between 120"-180" in perimeter.
We must use at least 21 of the charm squares.
Item MUST be quilted and bound.
We can add 1 or 2 other SOLID fabrics.  
Finish date is June 11th.
If we don't finish by June 11th, we have to pay the guild $10 for the charm pack.  That right there is a major incentive ...

 Oy vey... this IS a challenge for me.  I have been playing around with my markers and graph paper for a few days now and might have an idea.  It needs tweaking, but I think I like it...  

Want a sneak peak?

photo doctored by picnik.com


What? You thought I was actually going to let you see my sketch??  I don't think so.  I think even this photo shows a bit too  much.  I will promise to show some sneak peaks in the future and I might even show a good photo before June 11th...but don't hold your breath. 
Right now there is no judging or prizes, but that could change by June 11th...  Who knows, maybe Robert Kaufman himself will fly in to judge...crazier things have happened .. There IS a real live Robert Kaufman, RIGHT??


Nancy

7 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Oh wow, playing with solids! That will be a challenge ;-)

KatieKate said...

There IS a real Kaufman... I've seen him! He's always wearing a crazy sweater in every color imagineable :)

Diane said...

What fun! The Amish have made beautiful quilts out of solids for many many years - you'll be able to do something stunning, I'm sure. I can't wait to see it.

Jackie Russell said...

You are a lot further along than I am. I'm still just looking at the fabrics. Not a clue what I might do with them.

Milica said...

So fun! I've missed the last two meetings so it is great to see everyone so excited about this. Love your sneak peek! Solids will be a fun challenge!

Nancy Page said...

Oh, I think this challenge is just the thing for you. Your sneak peak is very modern, very pretty, very soothing all at the same time. Mine won't match yours at all.

Have a super great day.

Kristy said...

You are so sweet!!!!! and you certainly make the guild that much more enjoyable.

I'm glad that someone has started on the challenge, my squares are still neatly wrapped, sitting on my table...I'm waiting for inspiration to hit.