Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The last 10 days....

Where have I been the last 10 days? Let me think back....

Last Saturday we took off to our youngest granddaughters first birthday party. She really liked her cake. She liked it so much she needed a bath afterwards..
Her sister helped her open her gifts and play with them. We got her something that has pieces, makes a lot of noise and takes 4-D batteries. I love toys like that.




I was hoping to go to a local quilt shop, but the party started at 2pm and the quilt shop closed at 3pm, so that didn't happen.

I have been working on my redwork blocks, doing some charity blocks using some of my brights stash and teaching the neighbor girl how to do redwork. I have also been taking many trips to the eye doctor and Monday I was told that my right eye was totally healed up and I just have to be weaned off of the steroid drops now. I will always have a small hazy area but it does not affect my eyesight so I am thankful. I do have to pay attention and get to the eye doctor much sooner if I notice symptoms returning. Apparently once you have herpes simplex in your eye, it is very likely to return. Live and Learn...

My latest finished redwork block....





Today was a snow day as we got about 6 inches, so I decided to bake. The last 2 desserts (new recipes) I have made have been total flops. Even DH wouldn't eat them and he is pretty easy to please. Today I made a lemon bundt cake with lemon glaze and it smells great. I know it will be good as I have made it before...

Then I decided to make some veggie soup. I love this stuff and will eat it for every meal until it is gone...


Now, I have always been just a wee bit envious of Judy. She makes her own bread. I love bread. I used to make a lot of it when we were first married and it was cheaper to make it. Then I started having kids and working and it wasn't as easy. Judy even has a separate blog for cooking. She is something else. I first read about this style of bread making at her blog and then this morning I read about it again on Motherload. Three seconds later I was HERE and I should have the book by next week.

So while I wait, I decided to pull out that great Christmas present I got.



and make this....




Um...did you notice that more than half a loaf is missing?? Yea, 3 teenage boys, sledding down the street and then hot chocolate and half a loaf of warm bread with butter....LOL

Happy Sewing,
Nancy

4 comments:

Shelly said...

Nancy, the best thing I ever got was a bread machine. Throw the ingredients in, start it and 2-4 hours later (depending on the bread) it is done! Love the smell of bread making, the taste of hot fresh bread with butter--and even without!
Your granddaughter is adorable! I used to love the pictures I could get of my kids when they'd wear as much of their food as eat it--but was always wondering why I didn't just feed them in the bathroom--shorter trip to the tub! LOL
~Shelly~

Pat said...

WOW...you have been a busy lady. I love your philosophy about the best kinds of gifts to buy our grandkids. I share that philosophy!!! The dessert and the bread make my mouth water....and your redwork block is GREAT. But the most wonderful news of all is that your eye is totally healed....YAY!!! I'm really happy to hear that.

Melinda said...

I have been baking bread almost daily since I got the book a couple of weeks ago. We love the bread, especially while it is still warm from the oven. We also made great french toast using this bread.

Brenda said...

Where to begin? I could just squeeze that cute little baby to pieces. She is just adorable! OK and I have been having Progresso soup (almost by the caseload, thank you very much!)so I have to ask, do you use meat in that stock or do you use canned stock to make your soup? It looks yummy and I think I could make soup if I only knew how the heck to get started...
oh, and stop with the bread posts, you make me hungry and you're making me think of buying a bread making machine to keep up with your Kitchen-Aid "thingie". Have you ever worked at Panera? You could, y'know, now that you're the bread lady and all... you might make a baker out of me too. Can you see me rolling my eyes here? As if I needed to learn how to bake too. UGH-OH!