Friday, June 4, 2010

Ah...the back...

I met my long arm gal yesterday and dropped off a commission quilt... Then I felt guilty because I still hadn't bound the last quilt she did for me...
Yesterday I got the binding on and last night I finished doing the hand stitching.

I love it... This pattern is called "Wild Thing" by Camille Roskelly of Thimble Blossoms. It uses two identical charm packs and some background and went together so nicely. It's one of the those patterns that you can cut and then chain sew.



When I had the top together, I took it down to my local Hobby Lobby to find some backing. I never buy the backing for a quilt at the same time I get the fabric for the front. What am I thinking? That I won't do the quilt and the backing will be this big piece of boring fabric that will match nothing else. Probably why I don't buy the binding fabric either and have to frantically browse Etsy hoping someone has some matching to sell..

ANYWAY! I took the top to Hobby Lobby with my 40% off coupon and tried to match it with something there. I finally looked at the KONA cottons and picked one. I don't like it. I like my backs to look as nice as the front. I don't even mind solid backs, but this one doesn't Match. At. All. Your screen color isn't deceiving you, it doesn't match.



I DO however like the quilting. I asked for something flowy and circly...and she came through. It reminds me of the wind blowing across the prairie and the windmills...



Nothing on the agenda today. Maybe I will get another quilt done? I have 5 hanging in the sewing room to be basted and started...

Nancy

10 comments:

Momma Made This said...

I LIKE IT!

Really.

I like it! I think the backing is lovely, and that it does pick up a green dot in your border, and (here's the best part), it adds a note of surprise, rather than "ho hum" to the back.

However, I do agree with you that the machine quilting is gorgeous! Wish I could manage that. I'm currently (well, currently I'm typing)... this weekend I'm machine quilting mere straight lines on a king quilt on my plain ol' sewing machine, which is testing my strength, my coordination, and not least, my patience!!! : )

Thanks for sharing your LOVELY quilt!

~ Ronda

Pat said...

I think the back contrasts nicely with the front and really do like it! The quilting is great on it, too!

Copper Patch said...

I like the back too. Maybe you're being to hard on the poor quilt!!!

Love the quilting. it seems to really stand out - it almost looks as if a thicker than normal thread has been used. Has it?

All in all, it's lovely.
Abbe

Luv 2 Kreate said...

I'm sorry, but I LIKE IT!

Unknown said...

I'm with the other ladies, I like it, think it contrasts well with the green in the border fabric. Great quilting design.

Anne D said...

The quilt looks great. I think the lighting in Hobby Lobby is funny as things that look right there don't match when you get home.The quilting on the back is so nice that the back looks great too.

Your quilt makes me want to make one.

Pat / Silver Thimble Quilt Co. said...

Lookin goood girl..I like the back very much.

Pat

Sandy Panagos said...

I actually like it. It looks like there may be a little of that green in the border print on the front.

Don't be so hard on yourself!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful quilt, Nancy! Love the back,too. And the quilting is gorgeous! Kudos to the long arm quilter. Who says the front has to match the back or vice versa? I'm not tellin' the quilt police.
Veronica

Bonnie said...

I love the back. Don't be so hard on yourself. I got my fabric today and I love them. Thank you so much.