Tuesday, June 15, 2010

crazy blocks trimmed ...

i got the last blocks sewn and all the blocks trimmed. The pattern said to trim all the blocks to 9 1/2 x 14.. what? That is way smaller than necessary. I trimmed mine to 11 x 15 1/2 and those points aren't anywhere near the seam allowance. I will put them 4 across and 3 down and it will be almost square. I think it needs a sashing...what do you think? Since all the lights are white with black prints I thought maybe a nice thin black sashing. I already used all the extra to piece the binding.. and then maybe a narrow black border? I am thinking 1 inch finished... maybe the border will be bigger. I will probably look for fabric today while I am in Hannibal...at The Hickory Stick.. I might add to my civil war stash too. I am getting low on reds/yellows/green and I have no black... Then lunch and then a budget meeting for the quilt guild. busy, busy, busy...
so busy that I forgot I had a dr's appointment today and had to reschedule..





And for those that wondered (silently, since no one asked) this is the pile of trimmings from 4 blocks. That's it. Now the trimmings from cutting the blocks down to size was considerable but I actually cut them into strips and have another pile that I know will sit in the sewing room until later when I pitch them...or maybe I will do some string piecing and make some new pot holders...





And Miss Nancy got some of her crazy blocks done. She is doing the Harvest Moon pattern and you can see how hers look here.. she has two posts on her crazy blocks...

Nancy

7 comments:

Anne D said...

Wow they look great. I really like it. I am looking forward to our quilt along.

Tangos Treasures said...

Wow pretty!! The black sounds good for sashing & borders!

Pat said...

OH, yes....definitely sashing and I think black will work perfectly! GOOD job on this!

Nancy Page said...

These look really good! Love the way the color makes your eyes jump around. Sashing would make the blocks pop, especially black. Well done!

Have a great day. Looking forward to the quilt along.

Fleurette said...

Lovely blocks, will look great with sashing. Well done!

Diane Barfield said...

You did a great job on the blocks. I have the same pattern, but have yet to try it. Now I want to. Love your colors.

Margie said...

Saw you listed on the Bingo game so just thought I would say Hi!!!