Sunday, April 20, 2008

Messenger Bag......




It's done. I used THIS pattern. Here are the changes I made.

The pattern calls for fusible fleece. I used 100% cotton canvas and zig zag stitched it to each pattern piece. I personally don't like the looks of fusible fleece as it can wrinkle the nice fashion fabric. The pattern doesn't call for anything in the flap and next time I would use the canvas in the flap also. The pattern uses fusible (what did we do before irons?) hook and loop tape to close the flap. I didn't use anything. The flap is enough for me.

There is a zipper pocket inside. The directions call for you to make your zipper pocket out of two layers of fabric, then top stitch it into the lining. Since the whole zipper case was closed up and the edges finished, I top stitched on both sides and the bottom. Now I not only have a zipper pocket, but a pocket behind it.

After looking at the pattern I just realized that I sewed the strap on the wrong place. Guess I will be doing some "frog stitchin".

Here are the pics. Yes, that's me in the photo. Bad color as the light isn't the best in the guest bathroom. The photo of just the bag is closer to the correct color.

Off to frog stitch.....

Happy Sewing,
Nancy

PS..... just finished frog stitchin and the strap is on correctly now...

3 comments:

jacquie said...

I so want to make one of these, but I'm so bad at zippers. Actually, I'm not much good on anything but quilts. This bag looks so big and practical! Love the fabric you chose too.

Bridget said...

Your bag looks great! I like the changes you made and the you chose.

Purple and Paisley said...

oh, i have been eyeing this messenger bag...i would have to make mine without a zipper tho because i don't know how to do those...and thank you for the comment on my blog about the omnigrid square...i am so glad someone else understands my confusion! i was afraid i wasn't making any sense...