Friday, August 15, 2008

Lucy!! I'm HOME.....with dinner


So here is the easiest way to get your husband (or partner, or BFF roommate or whoever) to bring home dinner without them knowing you didn't really want to cook.
I must say this has ALWAYS worked. It has never failed me. I don't consider it devious either. Here is the story, you decide.

My DH is fairly picky. We have been married for 36 years (37 in Dec). In the beginning of our marriage he would eat pretty much anything I could/would cook. There wasn't a whole lot I could master. I had a stay-at-home Dad for the last years of HS and first year of work. He did all the planning and cooking of breakfast and dinner for the family. My Mom worked. Pretty different for the late
60's and early 70's. And they weren't hippies...lol far from it.

Anyway off track there. In the beginning, as I was saying, DH would eat pretty much anything. In fact it wasn't until we had been married for 2 years that he told me he didn't really care for chicken pot pie, homemade or otherwise. BUT, he has always been a meat and potatoes guy, and he really could care less about the potatoes.

There are a certain number of meals he will relish. Steak with white bread, Pork Chops with Onions, HIS homemade spaghetti and meatballs, bbq pork steaks, well you get the drift. He doesn't eat any veggies although will eat salad.

About 10 years ago in a stroke of genius, I bought some Ekrich Smoked Sausage. A couple of days later, I got it out of the freezer and set it on the counter to thaw for dinner (please don't email me that you should thaw dinner in the fridge, I have been thawing meat on the counter for years and we haven't died yet). As DH was leaving for work, he noticed the meat on the counter and didn't say a thing. Halfway through the day, he called to tell me that he knew I was (insert tired, beat, hungry for Chinese, in a hurry) and he would bring dinner home. OK...who am I to argue. Back in the freezer went the smoked sausage. (please, I know. But it hadn't thawed yet and if this bothers you, you are in for trouble if you keep reading). So, a couple of weeks later, I again pulled out the smoked sausage to thaw and again DH noticed it as he was leaving for work and yes, once more he called mid-morning to say he would bring dinner as I was (insert tired, beat, hungry for Chinese, in a hurry) and he would bring dinner here. Once again (NO EMAILS) I put the sausage back in the freezer. This happened a couple of more times before I finally realized he DOESN'T REALLY LIKE SMOKED SAUSAGE!! Hm... I will try one more time?? Yep....it happened every time I got that dang smoked sausage out. Have I stumbled upon something here?? YOU BET!! Any time I didn't want to cook dinner, I pulled out that package of frozen sausage and set it out on that counter right where he couldn't miss it. Sometimes I even told him what was for dinner, just in case he missed it on the counter.

I kept that same package of Smoked Sausage until 2 years ago when we moved here and I finally pitched it still frozen.

Please know that I never bought any more smoked sausage, just the one package. It was marked. If it would have come down to actually looking like I would have had to cook it, I would have switched it with another meal. Like eggs and bacon or something. I never would have served 10 year old meat. Really!!

So now you know the story. No sex, no whining, and no promises. And it works.

On a sewing note, I got 8 mystery blocks done, which is step 1. Tomorrow I have to make 4 blocks for step 2 and then I will probably go ahead and do step 3 whatever that is. This is a scrappy mystery quilt and I decided to use all of my primitive colors, like dark red, golden yellow, dark green, tans with some blues mixed in. It will take a year to finish and as one of the three that picked the pattern I have seen the end and know how it will look.
And I just noticed we are completely out of dog food. I wonder if there is someone that might want to go to the IGA for me tomorrow....

Happy Sewing,
Nancy

13 comments:

Brenda said...

OMG, That is way too funny! I must share it with my Mom...LOL!

Tracey in CT said...

Thank you for this tip! :-)
LOL

PiecefulChaos said...

I love that story!

Sweet P said...

That is way too funny! I'm lucky with my DH. If I don't want to cook or want to go out to eat I only have to tell him.

Have fun sewing!

Carolyn said...

Wait.....OMG.....I had sausage at your house.....I'm getting sick....


Just kidding - too bad I'm packing this week-end or I would bring you some dog food. But you do have a new driver in the house that could stop before work and get it for you. Hint-Hint to the Rock Star...

Your Sis :)

Unknown said...

Remind me not to come for dinner when smoked sausage is on the menu....lol.... what a giggle, shame that wouldn't work here, dh likes smoked sausage.

~Bren~ said...

I kinda have the same thing here and with polish sausage...only he says let's order a pizza!!!
Too funny...and I always thaw meat on the counter too...DAILY.

Lilly said...

That was a really cute story.Went through moments like that with all 4 of my sons. Gives me a headache thinking about it! My husband will eat anything I fix rather than to eat out. Smoked sausage and sauerkraut is one of his favorites. If I don't want to cook, I just tell him so. I have a question. Why do we always capitolize I, but not you or me or them or us? Seems a bit egocentric.

Cathi said...

OMG, I couldn't stop laughing as I read this! What a riot! Now if only I could find something DH didn't like! :-)

rachel griffith said...

hahaha.
how funny is that???
you clever girl you.

{i got to your blog via pat sloan's blog}

Anonymous said...

What a great story!

Judy D in WA said...

I am playing on your post tags and found this post. OMG, thanks for making me laugh so early in the day. I love it, I am going to try it but I know it isn't going to work for me--my DH will eat anything!

Staci said...

Oh my! I am really, truly, laughing out loud! You are a GENIUS!!! Now I'm wondering how I can work this out in my own home!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!