Friday, March 5, 2010

I am not proud....

I will beg for votes...

Quilting Gallery is having their weekly contest. This week it is "Quilts for Girls". I have entered Baby Blue Birds for Abbie. Abbie (that's her in the photo saying "ta da") is my youngest granddaughter and the daughter of my oldest daughter...confused yet?

When our oldest daughter announced her pregnancy we were shocked to say the least..for many reasons that we won't go into here. I immediately started thinking of quilt patterns. I knew I wanted to do hand embroidery and while web surfing one day I found the cutest little embroidery patterns of baby blue birds. Each pattern shows a little bird holding a baby item...a rattle, a diaper pin etc..

Since they could be for girls or boys, I ordered the patterns and started stitching...
The only part I left unstitched was the end of the diaper pin. I waited until we found out the sex of the baby and then stitched the diaper pin in pink...
The pattern didn't come with any quilt pattern to finish it so I sat down with my graph paper and pencil. I knew I wanted to use 30's reproduction fabrics as I had used those same fabrics for her brother and sister's baby quilt. I started sketching and this is what I came up with...

Baby Blue Birds for Abbie....



I even had some fabric scraps from her siblings quilt and included them in hers.

So if you would feel compelled to vote...go HERE and vote for your favorite. Maybe your favorite will be the same as mine?

Come back tomorrow.. Yesterday was redwork club and there were a few really nice quilts there. If I get the time tonight I will upload the photos for a show-n-tell.

Nancy

5 comments:

Pat said...

Okay...went and voted. I love Abby's quilt and the story behind it, too.

Trudi said...

Off to vote for you now Nancy :)

Sharon (Stitches on Mars) said...

Hi Nancy,

You have done a beautiful job on Abbie's quilt. I love the fact you've included some material from her siblings quilts. The bluebirds are so cute.

Hugs, Sharon

Anonymous said...

Love Abby's quilt and I just voted, hope you get a bunch of votes, because some of them already have a lot of votes. Looks like you need to call out the fan club and get everyone to vote

Anne D said...

Gorgeous! I voted for it.