Friday, September 10, 2010

tools...

I did this today.. It's kind of a rush job. My daughter is a director of a Hospice and they will raffle this off and use the funds to grant wishes for the patients. I hope they make tons of money..and so I pulled this little top out and basted it. I baste the same way every time. I have some clamps from Lowe's and I clamp the backing to my huge dining room table (it's ok...it's real old and I like all the scratches from the pins. It adds to the character, just ask my mom...she will tell you "I like all that old shit".) and then I pin...

I use an ice tea spoon to close all the pins... it doesn't work the best, but it keeps me from pinching my fingers and breaking what little fingernails I have. I use the long end...not the spoon side. I'm not an idiot..



Until today... (ok, not an idiot until today...I am still not an idiot...well, you know...) A while ago I entered a contest over at Kim's. I was very excited to find out I won this nice little gadget. It's a Kwik Klip. It's another one of those gadgets we all HAVE TO HAVE when we see it at the LQS. I have a whole sewing room full of those gadgets.. Except this one I will use. It works. It took less time to clip all those pins and I didn't break a nail and did I say it was fast?
It has earned it's place in the sewing room. It's a keeper.. Thanks Kim for the give away and especially for this tool.

The quilt is all quilted, binding on and I will work on doing the hand sewing tonight...

Today is grandparents day at one of the grandkids school, so I will be driving 180 miles round trip to spend 20 minutes in his classroom... should be fun...

Nancy

10 comments:

Thimbleanna said...

Wow -- that's a dedicated grandparent! Hopefully there's a quilt shop you can stop at along the way.

Nancy Page said...

Oh, what we do for our kids and grandkids! Enjoy!

Have a super great day.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

I'll have to check to see if I can find a video of that Quik Clip in use - I could use some help.
You are one special Grandma Nancy! Lucky grand kids.

Cindy said...

One of my favorite quilting gadgets!

Pat said...

I have that and have only used it a couple of times as I forget about it OR can't find it when I am pin-basting. I'm sure your grand will be SO happy that you are there today!

Anne D said...

Make sure you post a photo of the finshed quilt!
You are very good driving all that way. Hope there is some shopping you can do on the way there (or back).

Roselie said...

Would love to see a picture of the finished quilt. Like what I saw so far.

How lucky to get invited for grandparent's day. My daughter is expecting our 1st grandchild any day and can't wait to do those kind of things.

Sharon (Stitches on Mars) said...

Hi Nancy,
The quilt looks great...have a great 20 minutes of fun.
Hugs, Sharon

Lorraine said...

Yep ...I am with you on the Kwikclip....I have had one for a few years and love it.....don't use it often enough though - need to get some of those tops ready for quilting...!!

Pat / Silver Thimble Quilt Co. said...

Catching up on my blog reading. How long does it take you to quilt a quilt like that???

You are so lucky to have grands! but they are extra blessed to have you.

I just read your post about the house and those basement steps. Isn't it amazing to look back at where we all started.

Pat