Sunday, September 5, 2010

what a beautiful day....

Yesterday was GORGEOUS here in the Midwest. The temp was 50 when I got up at 7am and by 9am it had only gotten up to 62... We left the house and took off to an auction in a neighboring city.

This first thing we do when we get to an auction is to walk the entire place. If we spot anything we are interested in we get I send the hubby to get a bid number. If you have never been to an auction, you have to show your I.D., usually your drivers license, and then you hold your bid ticket up to your face and they take your picture. That's why the hubby always get the ticket... Then we fight over who gets property of it. Lately they have been adding the first name to the bid paper. It doesn't bother me at all to bid under my hubby's name... lol

Today, I took control and boy did I do a good job.....


first up is a stool... we checked and that seat will come off easy and I will recover it with something... not sure what yet...but it won't be ripped.. and I will probably spray paint it.. or maybe not...looking at it, it's in pretty good shape..


and here my model shows you that the seat comes up and exposes the steps...


and here she is showing how you can stand on it...

Oh, I love this... it is all metal and look at that price!! No one else bid on it... This will get painted although I am not sure what color yet...I am leaning towards red or yellow...

and a pot... I love big pots... and this one is in pristine condition.. and again...look at that price!! I will be making some spaghetti sauce in that one this weekend..

and I got carried away. I was danged if that old lady was going to steal this from me...She bid me up to $20...(she didn't know my limit was $25! HA!) There were 3 cake plates with covers... they put them all in the middle of the flat bed and it was bidders choice. You can bet I wanted that one... There is a little lever on the side that you slide and the little clips open up..then to lock it you slide it back again. So Cool!! And so totally 1950's.. My favorite piece of the day...
(please ignore the dirty table, remember we had 2 grandkids)

OMGosh...this is so funny... See right behind the cake plate? That big white thing? It's a Styrofoam cooler. It came with the grandson. Guess what is in there? BOOKS!! It's his traveling library, I guess... So funny.. of course I must be a proud grandma and tell you that he just started 2nd grade and is reading on a 3rd grade level... oh yea...both the grandsons are avid readers... they both read better than the granddaughter and I find that so backward... usually boys are the least likely to enjoy reading...or maybe I just think that because both my daughters read all the time (as do I and their dad) and my son only picks up a book if he HAS TO!!

Then we got the "would you like to take the grandkids so we can go to the World's Fair and get drunk" call so we took off and picked up two grandkids, fed them pizza, rented them a movie (which they didn't watch) and they went right to sleep at 9pm..

Today we will have pancakes, play more legos and they will go back home at noon...

Then I will nap... I did something to my neck and shoulders. They are so sore...very stiff neck...I must have slept crooked night before last...or maybe it was the open window..?

Don't forget the giveaway... I can't believe the number of lurkers comments there are... although I still have readers coming through as anonymous with no name and email... I can only do so much...
just remember I can't put you into the drawing for the surprise prize unless I know who you are...

Nancy

14 comments:

Anne D said...

Sounds like you had a great day at the auction. Look forward to seeing what you do with the stool and metal table!

Winona said...

Boy Nancy! You got some good stuff. I have not been to an auction in years. Maybe I need to start going again. Glad you had a good day and enjoyed the grandkids. Have a restful afternoon. Winona

Cherie said...

Oooh, I love your treasures! I forgot to leave my contact info in the giveaway, so if I win, my email address is cherie(dot)wright(at)gmail(dot)com

Tangos Treasures said...

Wow great deals!! I love that table, red would be cool!!
Enjoy the grands & hope your neck feels better!

Staci said...

That stool brings back a lot of memories. We had one that stood in the corner of the kitchen my entire childhood. I remember sitting on it to watch my mom cook, standing on the top step to cut out sugar cookies, sitting on the seat to get my bangs trimmed and getting my behind paddled for using it to climb up on the counter to get into the cabinet where the cookies and candy were kept out of my reach!

Thanks for the trip down memory lane this morning!

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

I love your stool! I can't wait to see what you cover it with.
And the cake cover is great too, beat that tupperware all to heck!
Enjoy your afternoon nap!

Diane said...

Great finds! I must never let my husband near those auctions. He would go crazy and buy too much stuff. It's bad enough with garage sales... although I really can't complain about the new dryer he bought ($75 - never used), and a few other great deals.

Melinda said...

I really miss going to auctions. When we lived in the Chicago area we went almost every week. Not many auctions around here - at least not that I know about.

I have a new version of the stepstool chair - red seat!

Anonymous said...

Yes you had really great finds and buys at the Auction. You'll Love that stool, they are so usefull. Going to an Auction is probably one of my most favorite activities, however don't go much because I bring home too much "stuff"
Another thing I want to mention - love to read your blog I miss it on days I can't get to it
Carol in Western NY State

Stephanie Hughes said...

Nancy, it is gorgeous here to and I am enjoying my in-laws visiting from WI. Sounds like you're having fun with the grandkids. Steph

Jocelyn said...

wow great deals!

Gari in AL said...

Love your "finds." I don't do auctions but love antique/collectible stores.

Pat said...

You did well at that auction, too! Be sure to show us your treasures once you have done restoration work on them, okay?

SheilaC said...

You always find the best things at the auction!!

Can't wait to see the makeovers

SHeilaC