Thursday, July 29, 2010

.38 vs .357

WARNING
THIS IS NOT A QUILT RELATED POST
THIS IS ABOUT GUNS


So you have been warned. Hubby and I are in the process of purchasing a home closer to the oldest two kids (the girls in charge of my grandkids). We have found the perfect area...10.5 acres, a nice small fishing pond, a home big enough for the two of us and a SUPER sewing room...really...SUPER... But more on that after some issues are taken care of with the seller..

Living out in the middle of nowhere (as the kids call it) brings it's own set of issues. The roads are gravel so I will never have a clean car. It is close to 17 miles to town so I will have to make list after list for the grocery store and do more planning as there won't be quick trips for anything. There are quilt shops about 30 miles away, so I might do more online shopping...
Oh...and the house needs an almost total rehab... some of the rooms just have subfloors...
and we won't even begin to discuss the fact that the tub surround is wood...yes, wood, as in OAK... who puts oak inside the bathtub???

Another big issue is that sometimes I will be out there pulling down wallpaper (on every surface) during the week by myself.. in the middle of nowhere... on 10.5 wooded acres...

Last week hubby asked me to sit on the couch and close my eyes. He said "keep them closed, I bought you something for the house". Wow...I'm trying to think of all the things he could have purchased... a wallpaper stripper? my own tool belt? No...he surprised me with this..





So this morning at the butt crack of dawn we took off to the Missouri Department of Conservation shooting range. It's an outside range and when we got there at 6am only one other elderly gentleman was there setting up.. We set up the target (sorry, i forgot the camera) and i started my lessons...

Here's my target..


and a close up


and a head shot.. well 3 shots actually..

and my score. The target is like any other you have rings and your score goes up the closer you get to the center. You get 5 points for for anything in X, 10, 9, and 8 circles. You get 4 points for anything in the 7 circle and 3 points for anything else in the black body area. I shot 10 rounds of 5 bullets each so 50 total bullets.
There's my score on the upper left hand side...

If you start about the middle of the numbers..
I got 6 shots at 3 points each =18
I got 7 shots at 4 points each =28
I got 33 shots at 5 points each = 165
So I scored at 77% ...now I don't think that is too bad for the first time at the range. AND this is important...I purposely aimed at the head and each shoulder which brought my score down. I wasn't aware at the time that we were scoring..

At the end, the hubs brought out 5 more bullets. I had been shooting .38's. He had 5 .357's...Hoboy...was there a difference. More recoil than I would have liked. He said "get used to it cause you need to use the .357's". We talked about it and we agreed... it's my gun and I get to chose the bullets. I choose the .38's... Big enough to hurt someone and not so big it would knock me down.

Want to know something? I think it was kind of fun.. and now I won't feel so vulnerable when I'm stripping all that wallpaper...

Nancy

12 comments:

Margie said...

Looks to me like you could defend yourself just fine. We are a hunting family so know a bit about guns. As for the 357, hubby has one and I've watched (not shot it myself) how it kicks! I ain't shooting that thing!!!

Good luck with the house and don't forget pictures. I did not get very many before pictures of our house when we remodeled and wish now that I had! Take care

Winona said...

I think it is great that you will now have a way to protect yourself. We live out in the boonies too. I don't worry much about trouble, but I can protect myself if needed. I am so happy that you have found a place that sounds like you will love when you get done with it. Having a great sewing room alone is worth it. Right? I would love to see some pictures of your new place. Have fun with this. Winona

Carolyn said...

Glad you survived!!

Carolyn

Tangos Treasures said...

AWESOME!!! I just approved for a gun permit!

JustCindy said...

Great shot, Nancy! Keep practicing you might need to protect your fabric someday. Oh I've owned my own gun for well over 25 yrs.

Anonymous said...

seriously, Nancy, its a wonderful idea. I have my own guns..(notice I said guns, as in more than one) and I know how to use them..... You have to beable to protect yourself.
Congrats!
Bev

Anonymous said...

My fav gun is a legal length sawed off type of shotgun.. the kind you'd never miss with and light to carry and no bad kick back....
good luck on your new place and have fun with your new toy.

Pat said...

I think you did fine with this. Let's hope you never have to use it for self-defense, though.

Laura said...

Good for you Nancy! My DH did the same thing with me...presented me with my "gift" and then took me to the shooting range to learn to use it. Of course, once he let me use his non-girly gun, I no longer wanted to use mine LOL.

Between the dogs and the guns, I never worry about being home alone when he's out of town.

Bren said...

I promise to call first before I come calling!

Gene Black said...

Yes, all strippers need a little pistol! heheee

Gene Black said...

Yes, all strippers need a little pistol! heheee