Saturday, July 31, 2010

a bit of a food experiment...

We eat a lot of hamburger. When our son was growing up, hamburger was one of two meats he would eat. Hotdogs were the other and we won't discuss what kind of meat those are...

Last week I was watching one the many shows I tape during the week. America's Test Kitchen comes on Tuesdays at 1pm on my tv. I really like this show as it not only gives you recipes, but tells you what, why and how to make everything taste better. None of it is very complicated. ..but it sure makes a difference...

The show was all about hamburger, or more accurately ground sirloin. They talked about making your own .. I guess somewhere in my brain I knew I could do that, but why would I if I can buy it already made...

Oh my...what a difference.

So here you go...try it...it makes a world of difference...

First buy some top sirloin. Now a days, you can't get it with any fat on it. They really trim it down.. I would have liked a little bit of fat ...

Then cut it into 1 inch pieces, lay it on a plate and plop it in the freezer for about 20-30 minutes.

Put about this many pieces into your food processor with your cutting blade and just use the pulse about 6-7 times.. Should I tell you that it took 2 adults about 10 minutes to figure out how the dang processor worked? We had it hooked up every which way...

It will look like this..


Don't play with it. Just spoon some up and put it in your pan...Don't turn it until it starts looking brown on top. Believe me it will fall apart. I put onions in the pan and since there was no fat I had to add a pat of butter to brown them. And yes, that is an electric skillet. I have a perfectly good stove, but prefer to use this instead. I use it for everything.. I would be lost without it..


And this is the result.... They were so good. And not that many more steps. Sure I had to clean the food processor, but hey I had to do dishes anyway...


I still have some sirloin burger left... off to look for recipes for dinner tonight...

Nancy

5 comments:

Tangos Treasures said...

Yummmm I love watching cooking shows too!

Ann at Prairie Primrose said...

I watched that show and my mouth was watering! Did you try the fries?

Pat said...

Can I come over for dinner?? (Oh, wait...I know the answer to that...I can only go there for dinner IF you win the GO on my giveaway!!! LOL)

Pokey said...

This looks good, yum!

Anonymous said...

I own a meat grinder but never realized until the other day that the processor would do the job a lot faster..
your burger looks very delicious.