Thursday, July 8, 2010

I was wrong...

Just don't tell my hubby....ok?

I need to start this story way back when I graduated from high school. I started working and saving my money to buy a car. I decided then that what I needed was a Volkswagen bug. I put half my salary (piddling though it was) in a savings account. Every Sunday I would scour the car ads and pick out my car... That lasted until I met my hubby at the local drugstore. He asked me out...within 6 months we were engaged and a little more than a year after we met we married. Guess where all that saved money went? Yea.. to little things like moving to San Diego, setting up an apartment with hand me downs and him serving in the Navy... well worth it at the time.

A couple of years later we bought a used VW bug which I attempted to drive up a hill (it was a stick) going the wrong way on a one way street with the parking brake on. I don't think I drove it after that. We eventually traded it in...

I always wanted another one and 3 years or so ago I went with my daughter to look at cars. She was looking for a new car and I was just tagging along.. While she found some boring black station wagon looking SUV...(just kidding K) I saw it... two spaces down it sat....a silver VW 5 speed Turbo with leather seats (heated I might add) and a convertible top. I HAD to have it...
I talked hubby into it saying I would never want another car...I would drive this car until I died or couldn't drive anymore...I really whined and fussed...I was terrible and of course he said OK and we bought it.

Guess what I did today...

Yep... I didn't die...but we said goodbye to the nice VW...


It's a nice car, but with 5 grandkids it just doesn't work anymore. I hope it enjoys it's second life with a nice single person who has one very short friend and doesn't shop a lot...

So this is what we replaced it with.... Isn't it pretty? Only $98 THOUSAND dollars... I really thought about buying two and giving one away... wouldn't that be fun?


Ok...grandkids won't fit in there either... and there were signs all over it that said DON'T TOUCH...so of course I asked if I could take a photo..

So this is really what we bought... I love the orange color and it has a nice big backseat and a good size trunk...
Oh wait...see those red velvet cords? Yea... this car is owned by the man who also owns the dealership. He paid full price and it sits in the showroom. There were only 6500
of these made. You could pick from orange, black and silver. He made the right color choice don't you think? He has never driven it. He is hoping that someday it will be worth a bucket full of money...and I guess if he keeps it long enough it will..

So what did we buy? A 7 passenger Jeep.. The girls think I bought a 7 passenger so I can take all 5 grandchildren at the same time... uh...no...that will NEVER HAPPEN...



So really...VW or Jeep? This one is better....but please don't tell hubby he was right. He will never let me forget it...

Nancy

16 comments:

Diane said...

My first car was a green '72 VW bug. I loved that car. My husband didn't. He sold it the first year we were married. I still secretly wish I had one.
We had '94 Jeep Grand Cherokee that we loved - ran great, interior still looked new (even after seeing 4 kids through college)when we turned it in last year. I bet you'll love yours.

Terry said...

Congratulations! I've driven a Jeep for the past 13 years and I love it! :0)

Tangos Treasures said...

LOL great story & I'll never tell!!
Congratulations on your new jeep!

Unknown said...

Very nice, I must be odd I didn't like either of your first two choices.

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

We are a two jeep family. He's got the wraagler, I have the cherokee. We love them both!
Congratulations, they have great resell. Wait why did I say that? Mine is 11 years old and I will probably never get to trade it in.

Nancy Page said...

Great looking car! Congratulations!

Have a super great sewing new car day!

Cindy said...

My first car was a VW Beetle - I also loved that car! But the time comes when you have to give up such awesome style for practicality! Enjoy!

Jocelyn said...

My hubby had a little yellow VW when we first met. I tried to drive that thing up a hill once, and got stuck, started to roll back, and said "that's enough for me." I now have driven Suburbans for 20 years! I love them ;-)

Winona said...

Nice looking vehicle you got. I have always wanted a VW bug. Maybe I don't really want one any more, but I used to. Have fun with your new wheels. Winona

PiecefulChaos said...

my first car was a 1973 VW Super Beetle - I had the same trouble with hills and the stick shift! I eventually traded mine in too but when they brought them back I've been tempted a few times! I've had a couple of Jeeps too and loved them - good luck with your new car!

Anne D said...

It is very sad that you have to be practical again!

Pat said...

I'm with Linda.....didn't care for the earlier choices, either. LOL

Thimbleanna said...

Hahaha! Isn't it funny how we want the car of our youth? When hubby and I married I had a Camaro which I loved, but by the time babies came along we had to get rid of it -- not enough room. Now they have those cool new Camaros. I REALLY want one. But they squashed the body style just a bit too much, so it won't be happening. ;-( Congrats on your new roomy vehicle!

Oh -- and thanks for a great reason for hanging on to my roomy vehicle. People keep saying I need to down-size now that the kids are gone. There will be grandkids someday, right???

Carolyn said...

Jeep for Sale:
*Room for 5 Grandkids
*Automatic for the uphill shift challenged
*Big enough for traveling sewing machine
*Will not strand you at home when snow on the road
*You won't need to keep Hubbys truck anymore and that's why he will say yes ;) to this purchase

SOLD ! ! ! !

Carolyn
aka: sister of new jeep owner

Anonymous said...

speaking as your "short" friend that DOES like to shop...good choice!!!!
Bev

Brenda said...

Well, at least you didn't end up with a Mom car... a station wagon! LOL! You KNOW you want to take ALL the grandkids for a Granda and Me weekend, c'mon! You know you want to, LOL~!