Sunday, October 21, 2007

Vintage Linens....





To use or not to use....that is the question....

I was given a set of my maternal grandmothers pillowcases. She embroidered them herself and they are wonderful. Grandma Bernice was a seamstress. She could take two patterns and make one Prom dress. She made all of my Homecomeing outfits, from wool shorts (with knee socks no less!!) to wool blazers, skirts etc.. One year she made me two skirts, two pairs of shorts,wool lined pants and one blazer and they all coordinated. I was pretty stylish back then, at least for the 2 days of Homecoming...lol She passed away a few years ago and I wish I would have spent more time watching her sew when I visited. When she passed, my grandfather gave me quite a few of her sewing items.



When I changed the sheets yesterday, I put these on my bed. My room is grass green and white so these match perfectly. Now I want to take them off and put them back into the closet. I don't want us sleeping on them. I want to keep them nice and crisp. But what good will they do there? I can't see them in my closet.


I love vintage linens. I use a cloth tablecloth every night. They are all from the 50's. Most are red and white, some have a bit of yellow or black in them. I have three just for Christmas. Most of them I get from ebay, some came from auctions that my hubby and I used to go to before we moved. I have about 6 or 7 that are rotated as they get dirty.

SO....my question?? What do I do with the pillowcases? Do I keep them on the bed or put them back into the closet?

Happy sewing day!!
Nancy

7 comments:

Kim said...

Nancy, welcome to quilter's blog heaven! Just starting out myself. Linda helped me with my page...Helen at Honey Bunch Quilting, too

I have stitched some Bare Roots stitchery patterns...love them!
:)

Kim said...

Oh! Need to talk about vintage linens, too. I would use those linens on a bed, every day. What good will those beauties do hiding away in the closet?

When I make up beds, I use the pretty pillow cases as a pillow sham to cover pillows that hide the "used every night" pillows behind them.

I know, new or vintage, pretty hand made things can be scary to actually use, but such a nice nudge to think of your grandmother every time you see them. :)

Unknown said...

Nancy, those are far too pretty to be stuck in a linen cupboard. I'm sure your grandmother didn't make them to sit hidden.

Rose Marie said...

Linda sent me over to visit and welcome to blogland. Those are lovely pillowcases and Kim has a great idea for treating them as shams. This way you will be able to enjoy but keep them from absorbing stains, etc.

Sweet P said...

Use them, of course. They are too pretty to be hidden in a closet.

Shannon said...

So glad you started a blog, Nancy! I love reading your posts over on Pat Sloan's list. Put those pillowcases on the bed! I had a bunch in my closet, too ~ but truly enjoy getting to see them every day :)

Patty said...

Hi Nancy! Found you in blogland via the Pat Sloan group. Nice
blog! Oh, and USE those pillowcases!