Saturday, March 28, 2009

small happy dance...

I am doing a small version of the happy dance. I got my redwork quilt all put together today. I did have a bit of a misstep.... I wanted to use the "worms" I bought (see them up there in the header?).... Worms are cut 2 1/2 inches wide. The pattern calls for strips cut 1 1/2 inches wide. I really thought it would work. I kind of figured that if you were consistent with the size it would work out in the end. but it didn't. it wouldn't work. so I had to unsew some seams and cut all the strips down to 1 1/2 inches which is what the pattern said to do in the beginning. Oh well, so much for "design opportunity". LOL



Now it needs two borders. First will probably be a narrow solid red and then a red/white print. Then quilting. How would you quilt this? All over design or diagonal lines throughout the whole quilt?

I really like how this turned out. This will hang in my upper hall with all the other quilts made from 30's fabrics...

Why only a small happy dance? It needs borders and I don't have anything in the stash. I might go out tomorrow and see what I can find, but it seems we have some SNOW in the forcast, so I might wait til next week.

Happy Sewing,
Nancy

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, Nancy! Have been 'following' your progress on this project and it's really turned out wonderful. And have to say "scaredy cat"! I have 4 grandchildren all under 9 (9, twins 7 and the youngest is 5)and it's really a fun trip to Wal-Mart - gotta try it! lol
Barbara in TN
saltillo3@yahoo.com

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

That red work is just adorable! I can't wait to see it finished. Maybe this nasty weather will give you more sewing time.
I'd quilt around the designs.
Have a great weekend.

Sweet P said...

Simply gorgeous! I hope you don't get too much snow.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Your redwork basket are so lovely. Very nice work.

Pat said...

It is wonderful, Nancy. As for the quilting the only thing I know is that I'd not quilt THROUGH the stitched designs themselves (which someone else already said here)....but maybe you didn't mean to imply you'd be doing that. Sorry the weather is going to prevent you from getting the border fabric right away.

Qubie said...

Wow! Very nice. You have done a great job.

Val said...

Nancy I am drooling on the redwork quilt! You've done such a wonderful job and I love it beyond words. I can't wait to see what you find for borders, it has been great fun following it thus far. I wish I devoted this amount of time to redwork as I do love it. It would look so beautiful in the red and white guest room I dream of!

Janet said...

Great job and I love these redwork baskets. It's going to look awesome when it's done.

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Nancy your quilt is just so lovely.....

Narelle said...

I'm loving all the red.
I'm usually lost when it comes to quilting ideas, but immediatly I thought of a cross hatch or diagonal on the cream and something meandering in the sashings.

Sandi Linn Andersen said...

Beautiful!!! And inspiring!!