Wednesday, October 28, 2009

ramblings....

State Farm agreed to pay for a local car dealership collision shop to do a "tear-down" on the truck. They finished today and there is $8000 worth of damage. Since State Farm says that the 2005 truck with 163,000 miles on it is worth $15,000 they will fix it. It will take them approximately two weeks to do all the work. Hubby isn't happy. He wanted a new truck. He may end up with one anyway.

DD#2 came Friday am with 2 of our grandkids to hang out and stay overnight. We headed out to the local discount store to search for Halloween costumes. We ended up with two that the kids were happy with.

Introducing a scary guy and a royal witch...



Poor little Ava...Can you see her red face? That's not from running around Grandma's house.. They both got the flu mist Friday morning before driving here. She was fine all evening. We went and had pizza and she ate like a champ...well everyone did...lol 6 people went through 2 extra large pizzas...
The next morning she woke up with a bright red rash over her whole face. I checked her tummy, arms and legs and no rash. Just her face. Her mom gave her some Benadryl and washed her face... It was still there the next morning and evening so DD#2 took her to the ER. They diagnosed a rash from the Flu Mist!! Told to to give Benadryl and by Monday am the rash was gone. She will now have to get the Flu Shot in four weeks while her brother will get another Flu Mist. Poor Ava...

I thought I would show you an updated photo of my dresser. Hubby is done with all six drawers, so it should go pretty fast now. The drawers really slowed him down. Each of them has half blind dovetails. That means that when you open the drawer you can see the dovetail, but you can't see them from the front. Pretty fancy, huh? He still has to make the mirror frame and then we will order the mirror.



Today I went to Miss Nancy's. Ann was there and the three of us decided to try this tutorial by Elizabeth of Oh, Fransson!. As you can see from the photos we all have different fabric tastes...



This is Miss Nancy's.... She likes soft colors that remind her of the Southwest.



This is Ann's.. She loves anything purple and batik...



This is mine. I am making mine into a surprise for the grandkids.... I will show you more when I am done...

We all really enjoyed learning this alternate way of piecing small squares. We decided that it really works better if you are using a lot of different fabric squares. For mine, I think it would have been faster to just do strip sets and sub cut them...

I think this is the most we have ever accomplished in one sewing day. We usually talk too much and get nothing done.

If you have read this far, Thanks!! I love comments, but do me a favor today? Go over to Ann's Blog and wish her a Happy Birthday...she's wishing for a new camera... Hopefully hubby has been paying attention to her hints...

Nancy

7 comments:

Anne D said...

Thanks Nancy. I got the perfect camera!!!!

Pat said...

I"m sorry they are choosing to fix a truck with that much mileage...I think hubby should have gotten a new one, too. *sigh* The kids look really cute but I"m sorry about Ava's rash....makes me worry about my granddaughter when the mist becomes available in her neck of the woods. I looked at that tutorial and it is the same method used in a landscape kit I bought at a large quilt show. I prefer chain piecing for just a regular top OR stip sets and then subcutting, but with the landscape quilts and all the tiny squares, the method you used is better.

Pat said...

hahaha...commmented on Anne's blog and didn't know she GOT the camera until I saw the comments no YOUR blog! YAY for Anne's new camera!!!

Janet said...

I've never evn heard of flue mist. Shame about the truck but as you say there will be a new one some day. I've seen that method of piecing for all sorts of thing, it's quite ingenious.

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the truck. Darn.....I know how hubbies love their NEW trucks....besides with that mileage, it should have been totaled......
Cute quilt, but I agree with you...strip piecing is faster...but its fun to learn a new technique.
Sorry about Ava...sure hope shes all better by now.
Bev

Unknown said...

What a bummer about the truck. Poor little Ava, I bet she won't be happy with the idea of having to have a shot. Thr drawers are coming along beautifully.

Carin said...

Darn it on the truck!
Cute kiddos! My boys both have asthma and so they aren't allowed to have the flu mist they have to have the shot.
HUGS!