Thursday, May 22, 2008

Going Green....

I have finally jumped on the band wagon. I go to a local grocery that charges for grocery bags and I am not willing to pay the extra few pennies. I have one canvas bag I bought at Soulard Market last summer so I decided yesterday to copy it and make two more.

Ta da!! 2 more market bags.... so quick to make and very handy. I will keep these in my boot (as my father-in-law used to call the trunk) and use them for all of my shopping, grocery or otherwise. Want to go green too? I cut these 22 x 22 and cut a 3 inch square out of each bottom corner. That gives me a 6 inch bottom which is generous enough for cereal boxes. Straps are cut 2 1/2 inches wide x 25 inches long.
Basic bag making instruction was used. I did zigzag finish all the seams and top stitched the handles to give them more strength. Since I had the canvas in my stash it only cost me time.




Sorry for the dark photo. It has been sunny here for 2 days, so of course today is rain.

Happy Sewing,
Nancy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think going green is something that everyone can agree is a step in the right direction toward building a better community, and laying down the foundations for which future generations can successfully thrive in a healthier environment. Plus, I think many businesses will benefit from going green, not only building a more acceptable public persona, but in the long run it really helps companies save money and be a positive contributor to the world we live in.

Another thing I want to talk about is bioheat, it’s just one small measure that people can take in order to start living a greener lifestyle.

Has anyone ever heard of it, or has switched to it? I want to start taking initiative in turning my home into a greener household, one way I have started is by switching out all my lightbulbs in my home to energy efficient lightbulbs. And I am also seriously considering switching over to bioheat as an alternative to regular oilheat. The thing that I love the most about it is that it’s completely clean burning, and is comprised of a b5 blend of oils which are derived from natural plant and vegetable sustainable resources such as corn, hemp, and avocados just to name a few. If you all want more information on how bioheat works, just go on to http://oilheatamerica.com/index.mv?screen=bioheat I work with NORA to bring this info to you!