Saturday, April 11, 2009

Nimble Thimble...

I am always in awe of stitchers that can use a thimble. When I started quilting I didn't finish many quilts so didn't have a lot of binding to hand sew. When I started doing redwork, I realized (after having some bloody fingers) that I needed something to pad my right middle finger. That's the one I use to push the needle through the fabric. I started using band aids, but that got kind of expensive and nasty... Then I found some clear plastic sticky dots that I could cut in half and use. They worked great, but I found that I wasted a lot of them. I would put one on and do a couple of stitches and then have to start dinner, or unload the dishes. When the plastic got wet, it was finished. They were fairly cheap, so I didn't worry about it too much until I started having a hard time finding them. I was at a quilt shop a couple of weeks ago and saw the rubber thimbles. I had bought one before and tried to use it, but at $2.95 it was worth a second try. I can't do it. I can't seem to keep it on my finger and I am all goofy with it on. I can't pick up the needle, I can't separate the thread. It's awful...

Then this week I was at Hobby Lobby buying some warm and white for a baby quilt and saw this hanging on the wall of notions...


I must have stood there for 5 minutes trying to decide if I wanted to spend the money and give it a try. My mind went back and forth. Do I buy it even though I can't try it on? If so, what size do I get? Small is out, so do I get Medium or Large? I settled on medium... and I love it. It is leather, so it kind of molded to my finger after a couple of hours wearing it. I can take it off and thread my needle, it wasn't expensive (less than $5) and it is thin so it doesn't feel like I have a hunky thing on my finger.

I sat down yesterday afternoon and stitched the name on the journal cover. Isn't it cute.


I made up her Easter basket bucket and added a pretty pink pen, some bubbles, cotton candy, jump rope and of course some great sugary candy. Buckets were made up for her brother and sister also. They are sitting on the mantle waiting for Sunday and their visit...

Have a wonderful Easter. Hope the bunny is good to you.... (I am asking for James Taylors new CD (Other Covers) and the Rock Star has volunteered to help him)

Nancy

7 comments:

Lorraine said...

I can't stitch unless I am wearing a thimble and have a couple of favourites.....love the journal cover....she will love it....I am donating any chocolate I get tomorrow to the Prince!

Pat said...

I am also one who can't use a thimble....so I might have to find this and consider it for myself. The journal cover looks great with the name on it...she will love it!

Rita said...

I use this thimble and love it. It's very comfortable. Happy Easter!

Carolyn said...

Love the journal and I know Grace will love it!

I hope you get the CD - I'd love to have those songs too "wink-wink"

Your Sis

Anonymous said...

well my Grandmother never sewed or quilted and she sewed a lot and beautifully without a thimble. I however still am looking for the right one, maybe I should try this one.
I really enjoy your blog and read it every day. So please know there are people out here who are your "groupies".
Guess I'll look for the new JT album - didn't know he had one out and we do like his music.
Your Easter things are really cute
Enjoy every minute of your day
Carol

ooglebloops said...

I had an old leather thimble I used for years and years. Could never use the hard ones! LOl finally mine disappeared when we moved - so I cut the tip off a pair of old black soft leather gloves, and it works just fine!!!!

Happy Easter!!

Amy R said...

Hi Nancy! I've had a hard time with thimbles too. I too use the same one you purchased. I picked up a trick from another list. . . lick your finger before putting the thimble on and it helps it stay put! It really works! I thought of you the other day when walking into JoAnns. There was a display for the new screen printing machine and the display Tee Shirt had "Rock Star" on it!