Friday, June 19, 2009

boring week....

What a boring week it has been here. We did have a birthday, but it wasn't very much fun. The Rock Star turned 17 on Wednesday. He left at 10am to go to a swimming party at a friends house. We took pizza over at 6pm and then didn't see him again until the next morning. He didn't get his birthday present until Thursday when again he was gone from 3pm until he got home around 9pm. No birthday cake. No balloons. No singing... I think that will change next year. I hated it. Next year he needs to stay home, I will have family over for cake and he will just have to put up with it.

Today, we did the traditional "drag the boy to the stores and buy something for him to give his dad for Fathers Day". Now granted, good ol'Dad is HARD to buy for. He doesn't do sports, doesn't drink and we are all tired of buying him books. We ended at at Rockler (a woodworking store) and I think we did pretty good. We bought some kind of kit that the guy said he might like. It does something fascinating I am sure although when the guy started explaining it to me my eyes glazed over.
Leaving Rockler, we saw this in the parking lot. I can't believe someone was driving this today in 100 degree heat. I would have melted.



Of course no trip out in this heat is complete without a couple of quilt shops. I needed thread and only one place around here carries Aurifil. Then off to Patches. I have a list of fabrics to get. I started a quilt with a charm pack of Arcadia and needed some yardage. Chris (the owner) emailed me saying they had 6 bolts from the line, so we headed down there.

I had a VISA rebate card burning a hole in my pocket ready to expire in July, so I thought I better use it while I remembered it...



Isn't it gorgeous. I have no plans for this and that is really unusual for me. Did you notice that the first and last fabrics are the same? LOL I asked for a 1/2 yard of the orange print and then later asked for another 1 yard cut. It's my favorite...


This fabric was just on the shelf next to the Arcadia and it caught my eye and I got 1/2 yard cuts of it.

Then to round out and finish off the VISA card, I bought these 30's. Again no project.....



A sneak peak of a project I am working on. Hopefully there will be more to show tomorrow or Sunday.... well, gee....I guess it's more than a sneak peak. LOL It's all the pieces cut out for a free class tomorrow at a LQS. The Quilted Fox is having a free class one Saturday a month through the summer. Can't remember what the next two are, but this one looked like it could add up to an early Christmas present for someone...



Well, that's the end of my boring week....

Need to get me some excitement around here..

Happy Sewing,
Nancy

7 comments:

blushing rose said...

Sorry about the 'downer' ... but Rockler sounds like a great place ... c'mon over here, we can giv eyou all the excitement you'll need for a year. Chuckle! TTFN ~Marydon

Carolyn said...

I agree on the Birthday..I hated it when the kids got older and wanted to spend it with their friends. Next year - bigger and better!!! Put in on the calendar now LOL

I L-O-V-E that fabric!!!

Your Sis

Janet said...

Wait till they want to dissapear at christmas, lol. It's a teenage thing. Looks like you had some exciting retail therapy though.

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Well from a mum of three boys...that is what 17 year olds do...love your fabric Nancy very nice..

Pat said...

Hey....finishing up the week with that fabric buy surely rescued it from being a boring week, didn't it? LOL Rock Star's b'day is the day before mine. I didn't have cake, either, but would gladly have had cake if you lived nearby and baked it. hehehehe

Anonymous said...

I agree about the birthday thing....heart breaking for the mom......
Sounds like a great sewing/buying week tho......love the new fabrics....
Bev

BJ said...

If next year is the Rock Star's big 18th, you will have to BRIBE him to spend the evening with family. It doesn't mean anything - it comes with the temporary loss of brain activity during the teen years. By the time he's 30, he will be fully recovered.

I checked out the quilt store you linked - you are SO lucky to have one nearby open on Sundays! Why don't more stores do that? It seems like, especially in the fall and winter when men are zoned out watching Sunday sports, this would be a good business idea!