Thursday, June 4, 2009

Channeling G.G....

There is a running joke in the family that sometimes we "channel G.G.". GG is the name that that the great grandkids call my Mom. We aren't being mean when we make fun of this, because she has truly brought this on herself. My Mom has decided that she doesn't look her age and will ask anyone "how old do you think I am?" This is asked of anyone, including waitresses, sales clerks, mall walkers. They of course being nice, will guess a number much lower than her real age, at which time she will tell them all of OUR ages. She doesn't ever reveal HER age, just her daughters ages. great...

Yesterday I decided to give myself a treat and headed into town for a manicure. As I was sitting there, the nail technician started asking me questions. I guess she wanted to make conversation and I just wanted to get my nails done.

The conversation went something like this -

NT-So do you have kids?

ME-Yes, I have three.

NT-How old are they?

ME- um...34, 29 and almost 17.

NT-really? How old are you?

ME-um...56

NT-Oh, you look like you are in your 40's.

Me thinking -well, your tip just increased...

I kind of like channeling GG.

Nancy

6 comments:

Pat said...

hahaha......can I venture a guess that your manicurist is foreign born??? I used to teach ESL (English as a second language) to adults....and in many countries, asking an age isn't considered rude. BUT...one of the first things we would teach our students was some questions they shouldn't ask...and that was one of them. Also....in some countries, it is thought that you should let your hostess know the food is tasty by SLURPING your soup...and that is ANOTHER issue we needed to correct.....that slurping soup in the home of an American hostess is NOT the acceptable thing to do. Thanks for giving me a chuckle today. (By the way.....I thought you only look 35 in your photo......hahahaha......does that guarantee me a win in your next giveaway???)

Carolyn said...

WHAT?!?!?!?! And yet another story for the arsenal.......

YEA!! That means I'm 44!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone reading this is welcome to tell me I don't look my age either LOL I guess it's in the genes :)

Carolyn
(aka Sister of Quilter)

Feedsack Fantasy said...

How cute! How did the nails turn out ... chuckle! TTFN ~ Marydon

Jocelyn said...

Very funny. Your Mom must really get pleasure out of telling everyone HER children's ages.

Mary said...

I guess the real question would be - so, how old IS your mother???

Sweet P said...

Channeling G.G. sounds like fun!